Image courtesy of Stuart Miles / Freedigitalphotos.net
I sat down and opened my lunchbox at work ready to eat my usual cheese and Vegemite sandwich. Sitting on top was a folded piece of paper. I opened it and read the words, ĎEnjoy your lunch. Iím cooking tea tonight. Love you xx.í
This note was written by my husband on a whim over thirty years ago and I still have it. My husband passed away at the age of thirty-one and this note is one of the few mementos I have from our short life together.
Love notes may seem a bit corny, but they are a simple, spontaneous way of letting your partner know that you're thinking of them. They donít have to be flowery or romantic Ė just a way of connecting with each other when you canít be together. Text messages are great too, but there's just something a bit more special about finding a hand-written note in an unexpected place.
Image ourtesy of Stuart Miles / Freedigitalphotos.net - modified by Colmo
There are a few creative ways you can slip a love note to your partner.
- For a start Ė donít write anything that could come back to haunt you. If the note should be seen by others or fall into the wrong hands, it could be very awkward indeed.
- Donít be repetitive. Leaving notes too often, always saying the same thing or leaving the note in the same spot will become tedious very quickly. Show your sincerity by mixing it up a little. Being unexpected is what makes it special.
Image courtesy of Ladyheart / Morguefile.com
- Take advantage of obvious opportunities. If you have to leave a note saying youíll be home late, finish off with a smiley face, a few kisses or a compliment.
- Drop a note in your partnerís pocket or wallet. Slip one inside the book theyíre currently reading.
- Inject some humour. Funny lines, quotes, jokes or pictures should elicit a smile.
Image courtesy of gubgib / Freedigitalphotos.net
Remember that itís easy to take a relationship for granted and there are some circumstances over which we have little or no control. Cherish each other and take every opportunity to show your love Ė even in the littlest ways, because sometimes the littlest ways are the most special.